Kinhouse Remodel: Gundabad

March 2nd, 2020

Kinhouse: In preparation of the new Gundabad expansion everyone is eagering waiting for at the end of this year, I figured I would spruce up the kinhouse again. It was last December when I added the Minas Morgul theme with a slew of weapons and alchemist sets. It was time to utilize all those Erebor decorations I spent so many tokens on getting in Strongholds of the North quest pack. Sadly, I did miss the seasonal decorations of Ered Mithrin. There won't be any dwarvish beds, study tables, or busts from that Figments of Splendour barterer. But there are a lot more things than there are slots to place so I guess it isn't too bad.

Outside: Changing the outside was much harder than I originally anticipated since I really liked what I had in place beforehand. I inserted Smaug Bones where the fountain used to be and the Outdoor Mine Cart Display in place of the Eorl Memorial. The lantern really shines onto the tip of the skull at night. The tail is a little problematic aligning with the slope, but it seems to work. Like the tabletop edition, you can watch the mine cart circle around. The two trees I placed in the background help liven up the decoration. The Dainlik statue is kind of in a perfect spot with the static birds flying in the background. Those birds are not part of the decoration like the ones that fly over the Smaug bones (there is a bird that lands on the top of Smaug Bones). I was going to add the Thornholt Tree but it's as big as that statue! Like the Decorative Oven, I decided to add the Grand Forge that I spent my precious 90 Tokens of the Lakes and River on. It doesn't do anything but it certainly is a point of interest if you are searching for the crafting center.

I added the Large Wheat Field to open up the area. Though I guess you can pretend to hide in it while fighting the Target Dummy. The Variag Property Guard I just got from Throne T2 is really cool. I didn't do much on the other side except move the Snowball Arena and make the Sauron Statue in the middle of the Round Gondorian Reflection Pool. Too bad he doesn't shoot water out of his mouth.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-02-100717-0Screen-Shot-2020-05-02-100735-0

 

Entrance: I always wanted to find a way to sneak the floor decorations in from Strongholds of the North. The pebbles could work, but the leaves ended up being a better choice. I couldn't get in everything. There were a couple of small bowls from Mists of Wilderland that would have been nice or some more flower pots. Good news is I managed to get both the Shrewmouse House and Badger House in the room (Fine Portrait of a Shrew to match). You'll find I added all 3 types of warden shields in the kinhouse somewhere - Vales version displayed here. I'm still a bit iffy on the wallpaper. I've tried nearly all of them, even the Pine Green Wall Paint from the Lothlorien barterer, but nothing seems to work as much as I hoped. The white does bring out the room a little more. The Spring Festival Theme, or "Rivendell" theme as I call it, was initially my first choice for the kinhouse. But the new Black Book of Mordor II from Minas Morgul quartermaster is pretty upbeat for popping in and out for the kinchest. I still can't believe the sleeping cat decoration does not fit a thin furniture, only a large.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-02-100946-0Screen-Shot-2020-05-02-101518-0

 

Hallways: Ivy and Moria crystals were added to transition between the hallways. The rugs also help introduce the various rooms. The bedrooms are still the same. I added the Corsair Boat from Throne T2 to the Reflecting Pool. The Dragon Painting is from Bounder's Bounty event back in 2013. The yard areas are mostly the same with the addition of a Spalvi Property Guard to replace the Dwarf in a Barrel. The Gondorian theme was slightly modified to a more "Mordor" theme with the Throne of Isengard placed on the far back wall. To make room for the special decorations up top, I also moved one of the Watcher statues down below.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-02-102040-0Screen-Shot-2020-05-02-101919-0
Screen-Shot-2020-05-02-101809-0Screen-Shot-2020-05-02-102007-0

Study Room: I found the new Memory wallpaper to be amazing in this middle room. The felbeast head is a nice addition to the ugly creatures area and the watcher in the middle really sells out the whole side. I had to strip out the alchemy table with all the pots and pans from Minas Morgul to make room for everything. I couldn't really find a good spot for the Banner of Erebor so I placed it in the center. It really does mirror well with the shields, paintings, and map tables placed as they are. It might sneak up on ya' but the Morgule Vale bookcase is tucked by one of the door frames. The Draigoch Fireplace was moved upstairs. Amusingly, the plynth and the "moon" are two separate decorations. So I had to make special use of two slots to make them work. I used to think the Moria Geode was big, but the other decoration makes it look so small comparitively.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-02-102234-0Screen-Shot-2020-05-02-102528-0

Throne Room: Honestly, there wasn't much I did to the top area. I moved the food table to the side, stripped out the non-dwarvish snow globes, and added a couple of books. There are the dwarvish shelves and weapons from Strongholds of the North on the wall. I added the dwarvish maps and paintings up there too. As much as I wanted the Dragon Painting here, I couldn't make it work. If you look real closely, you can watch the two pigs dream of various things. They must have fell asleep from the readings of Smaug and Erebor. Unfortunately, I could only add 2 of the 10 Pigs in a Blanket.

Screen-Shot-2020-05-02-102740-0Screen-Shot-2020-05-02-102735-0
Screen-Shot-2020-05-02-102729-0

2020-05-02